This blog is a posting of questions I receive through http://www.woodwind.org/clarinet and answers I provide. Originally, I responded to people's questions by email, but I thought it better to share their questions and my best attempts at answering them for all to read. If you're looking for a specific answer, don't forget to use Blogger's search tool.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Leaking clarinet

I recently bought my daughter a Buffet student B12. I am just a beginner myself and have a Armstrong which is not very good. Anyway, I have no problem getting notes out of the lower section b, bflat, A etc. On my daughter’s lower section, however, I have trouble getting any notes at all. She also has great difficulty in getting any sounds out of this lower section. It seems like the clarinet is just not blowing through those notes. Could there be something that is physically wrong with the section itself as a whole and needs repair? Any common problem that might be at issue. I thought when she received it that I tried it out in the different registers, but maybe I didn’t.

1 Comments:

Blogger J a s o n said...

I think what you’re saying is that you’re having problems with the right hand joint of the clarinet. If you have eliminated yourself as the difficulty (you can play them on a different clarinet), then it must be a mechanical problem with the instrument. I would suggest that you investigate for the following problems:

* Is there a crack in the instrument? (this would only apply to a wood instrument)
* Are there any missing, bent, or keys or springs? (check the left hand joint too)
* Are there any missing or bad pads on the instrument.

You should be able to use the Armstrong clarinet as a comparison. Many music stores will ensure that you instrument is set up properly so You should probably take it back to them to have them check it. I’m not sure where South Bend is or how large, but most cities have repairmen that can fix the instrument as well.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

2:13 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home