This blog is a posting of questions I receive through http://www.woodwind.org/clarinet and answers I provide. Originally, I responded to people's questions by email, but I thought it better to share their questions and my best attempts at answering them for all to read. If you're looking for a specific answer, don't forget to use Blogger's search tool.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Rhapsody in Blue

At the beginning of Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue, there is an upward sliding note played by a clarinet and I would like to know how sliding up or down from note to note is done. I have asked different people who play classical clarinet and they do not know. I have seen and heard jazz clarinet players slide up and down notes and they blend from note to note. I cannot see them pushing down on the keys to change to these close proximity notes. If you know how this is done, would you please tell me?

1 Comments:

Blogger J a s o n said...

Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue solo for the clarinet is quite unique in the repertoire. It uses a very complex technique that is mostly associated with jazz clarinet players, but played in a piece that is usually performed by classical players.

It is interesting that you would ask about this piece after querying me on reeds because reeds play a key part in making this tricky solo easier. Classical players tend to play on a more resistant setup than jazz players which usually means stiffer reeds. Therefore, classical players will use a lighter reed than they’re normally accustomed to execute the solo. The main trick to playing the solo is a combination of a lip glissando while sliding the fingers off the holes. It’s harder in the low register, but gets easier as you go up. The hardest part is moving over the break because you have to skip a few keys that you can’t slide on. As I said, this is done best with a light setup and a very relaxed embouchure (mouth muscles).

Beyond that, there’s not much more I can tell you in an email. I hope this helps.

3:31 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home