This blog is a posting of questions I receive through http://www.woodwind.org/clarinet and answers I provide. Originally, I responded to people's questions by email, but I thought it better to share their questions and my best attempts at answering them for all to read. If you're looking for a specific answer, don't forget to use Blogger's search tool.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Reeds

I have a question that I hope you can answer for me. I play the B-flat clarinet made by Selmer and the reeds that I use are made by Rico Royal. They are French File Cut, 2 ½. I would like to know if this is the best type of reed that I could use with my instrument to get the best results when playing. If there is a better type of reed for my instrument, would you let me know what I should be using in place of these reeds?

Thank you for any information you can offer me.

1 Comments:

Blogger J a s o n said...

Rico Royal reeds are acceptable for beginner to intermediate level students, but as you get better you will naturally move on to better quality reeds. Some clarinet players actually make their own reeds, but I’ve never done that.

For a number of years I played the regular Vandoren reeds, then switched to the Vandoren V12 reeds (German cut) and still play those. Some players also like Zonda reeds, but I’ve not had much success with them. I don’t think there is a particular make of reed for a Selmer clarinet, but you will find you’ll need to match reed strength to the mouthpiece you’re playing. If you haven’t tried some different mouthpieces yet, you’ll be amazed at how much they affect your playing.

3:32 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home