This blog is a posting of questions I receive through http://www.woodwind.org/clarinet and answers I provide. Originally, I responded to people's questions by email, but I thought it better to share their questions and my best attempts at answering them for all to read. If you're looking for a specific answer, don't forget to use Blogger's search tool.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Tonguing

My question has to do with the tone of the clarinet. I have a Buffet E-11, and I love the tone except for one thing. Everytime I play in the upper register, there is a tiny "pounding" or dull noise before the actual note comes out. (It's hard to explain) It's hardly noticeable to a non-musician, but it bothers me. I have tried changing reeds from Vandoren to LaVoz, and I have changed the ligature from the traditional metal to the vinyl/rubber looking ligature in which the screw is on the opposite side of the reed. Now, I'm almost convinced the problem is not in my equiptment, it has to do with my embouchure. Can you please help me? Thanks so much for your time!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger J a s o n said...

It sounds like this is a problem with tonguing. There's only so much I can say here, but you need to revisit how you tongue. The golden rule is, "tip of the tongue on the tip of the reed". The sound you're describing can easily be produced with a 'top of the tongue'. Many clarinet players develop this habit when first learning in the lower register where the noise is not apparent. Once they migrate to the upper registers, it becomes very noticeable.

3:17 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home